Monday, June 12, 2017

My First Week in Japan Part 1

Hello, everyone! I'm doing just fine here in Japan. Sore feet, a couple of blisters, a cold sore, and having to go to bed by 10:00 PM, but besides those I am doing well. I have been very busy settling in and going to places in the area. Today, I'll be going over some of that.
I left for Japan on Tuesday, central American time. By the time I got to Japan, it was about 2:30 PM Japan time. Here are the pictures of the plane ride over here. With the exception of the last one, all of them are from America because it was raining when I touched down in Japan.

It was a very rainy day in Japan when this photo was taken. The rainy season had started that day as well.
My final destination was Kansai International Airport. It is a very big airport and most of the workers can speak English as well. It was a very good stepping stone before going into the whole of Japan.
After I touched down in Japan, went through customs, and grabbed my suitcase, the first thing that I did was go over to the Hotel Nikko in the airport. For about $100, it was a very nice hotel. They even give out complimentary slippers that you can take with you. Unfortunately, I personally did not take any pictures of the room, but this is what my room looked like if you flipped it.
Note: I had reserved a single bed, but they upgraded me to two beds.
They had three books there. One was Catholic, one was Buddhist, and I assume the last one was Shinto. Together, they are the most popular religions in Japan with most of the population being both Shinto and Buddhist.

I fell asleep at 4:00 in the afternoon and work up at 2:30 the next morning. After waiting a while, I ran into my first problem; all of my chargers worked fine in the outlets except my laptop. Japan uses twp prongs at 100V while the USA uses three prongs at 120V. Luckily, all of my chargers are able to be used at both voltages, so I only had to worry about converting the outlet type. Luckily, there was an electronics store called Laox in the airport and with the help of a nice salesman, I was able to get the adapter I needed.

I went to breakfast in a restaurant downstairs from my hotel room. It was an all you can eat breakfast buffet for the price of  2,800 yen. It was expensive, but it did have all sorts of foods from all sorts of different places. I had takoyaki, mackerel, other fish, french bread, a croissant, and assorted fruit. It was pretty good food and I highly enjoyed it.

For lunch, I had a small plate of sushi in the airport. I don't have a picture of it, but it was very good. I managed to meet many people at the meeting place the next day after lunch, but we had a fun time talking about what we wanted to do. We then got on the bus with the help of someone from Kansai Gaidai University to get to the seminar house. Here they are!

This one is a car dealer.

I settled in, we went to the grocery store to get food, and I set up my futon on the tatami mats in my room.

Here is a picture of the room before the futons were set up.

The next day, we all went to the campus for the first time for orientation. The thing that somewhat surprised me was that there are still students on campus. They don't get out of school until after we leave. That really surprised me. During orientation, we had a placement test to see if we would be in the first class (for beginner beginners) or the second class (for more advanced beginners). I really hope that I am in the second class.

Here is a picture of me next to the sign for Kansai Gaidai.

It is late here, so I will talk more about my time in Japan in another post. I will also make sure to update this post with more pictures soon.

Pre travel
Week 1 Part 1
Week 1 Part 2
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7

No comments:

Post a Comment